Saturday, October 5, 2013

First Friday Kokomo, IN October 2013



For some reason I woke this morning with a real desire to "say something".  In thinking about it I realized that the reason was an overheard comment from Kokomo's First Friday event last night.

If anyone ever does read this, my very first attempt at a blog, I should probably explain the First Friday event. Local businesses who have moved into downtown buildings, that for many years sat vacant, open their doors on the First Friday of each month from 6 to 9 in the evening. Each business provides one or more of the following: entertainment in the form of live music, magicians, artists, etc; refreshments, special sales...you get the idea. There are also groups who provide entertainment on the courthouse square during the event, the Humane Society brings a few animals that are up for adoption and on it goes. Last month the Library provided free horse drawn hayrides.

As a person who grew up in Kokomo in the 1950's when downtown was all there was for shopping I have taken a real shine to this event. For the first time in many years there are people walking around downtown. It's free, it's something to do that young and old alike can enjoy, it's a showcase for businesses that otherwise might go unnoticed.

The comments that caused me to try my hand at blogging were made by my sister and by a person on the street last night. My sister, who incidently is older than my 70 years,  answered a question posed by her daughter asking what First Friday was about....."it's for old people". By the way she wasn't there! The woman on the corner of the square was overheard saying "I'm really disappointed, yada yada.

Last night I saw the 60 and 70+ year olds, yes, but I saw more. There were young people, there were families with young children, there was music, there were high schooler's walking around advertising the great candy store run by Career Center students, there were young Girl Scouts helping to raise money for Bridge's Outreach.

My friends and I had a very good meal at Drake's before wandering around. I'd like to be able to tell you that we went everywhere but unfortunately I have a hard time walking for any length of time.  I need knee surgery that I continue to put off but that's another story altogether. We did manage to see most of what was going on.

I've been going to First Friday since March and here is what I've learned so far: Pepperwhistle has some great sandwiches, Cook McDoogal's Irish Pub is a good place for adults to eat and you don't have to drink, Drake's has great catfish & smoked meats, Main St Cafe has some great specials as well as coffee's. Manna From Heaven makes really good cakes, Kokomo Career Center students have awesome candies, Sycamore Cottage is now downtown! Leader One has great Kokomo pictures,  Kokomo Artwork's is unbeatable. Where else can you see ballroom dancing in the street than at The Literacy Coalition? Belly Dancing & Zumba is fun to watch at my age and may be fun for you to do at yours. Planet Mind is a teacher's and kid's dream come true, Sound of Music and Rhum Acadmey provide some great local talent. Boutique's, chiropractic, massage's, local jeweler's, game store, comics and on and on.

I'm sorry the lady who is disappointed with something that helps to promote the downtown merchants and Kokomo itself made herself heard. But hey, that's her opinion and this is mine. I vote for positive.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about all the positives that First Friday brings to Kokomo. Anyone who is "disappointed" with that atmosphere is probably not a happy person in general! It was great reading your insight! You should Blog more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!! Being one of the businesses that are open for First Friday, I have to say that we all put out a special effort to people JUST like YOU!! WE love being a part of downtown and we want to see young people and families come as well as our seasoned citizens! A good family atmosphere is needed in our world, and we hope to keep that a part of First Firdays!! Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete